APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION HAVE CLOSED. If you’re still interested in working with forgood, join us on our Facebook Page and Group – make friends!
This is a kick-ass senior leadership role for our team at forgood. Read the instructions. Bring your A Game.
Forgood connects people to Causes. Think: online dating for the social sector! We’re the largest volunteering platform in South Africa, building a sexy technology platform that solves social problems. We’re also a proudly “for profit” – and believe in making money and creating social change at the same time. To learn more about how we do this, check out our business page.We need someone to lead our client team – oversee the interface with large South African corporates as we design, customise and run their Employee Volunteering Programmes on our platform. There’s also the opportunity to run interesting side projects as we experiment with different revenue streams and services. If you can prove yourself…
This is a senior role on forgood’s leadership team with enormous growth potential (direct route to COO).
PLEASE NOTE: Do NOT just click APPLY. We will ignore any submissions that do not follow the instructions in the job spec. Read it carefully, you’ll see what to do…
Go watch this. If it lights a fire in you, read on – https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong
NOTE: Transformation is important to us – we will consider all applications but are looking for employment equity candidates.
YOU MUST WANT: To work in a tech start-up environment. We have a flexible culture – but we’re also obsessed with delivery and getting shit done. You must WANT to deal with clients and be tolerant of a certain level of corporate bureaucracy (haha!). Don’t tell us you’re a “people person”. People’s people never actually say they’re people’s people. They just are.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO: Learn quickly, work fast, think big, prove yourself, leave ego at the door. Your attention to detail must be impeccable. You need street smarts. You’re going to be dealing with clever clients and team members, building clever stuff – these peoples don’t suffer fools.
YOU MUST: Have management experience. Commit. We’re not going to sink blood, sweat, tears, time and champagne (our celebration method of choice currently) into someone who’s going to ditch when things get hard. You’re in this for 2 years+ or you’re not in it at all.
THE ROLE: Manage a high performing team that looks after 14 corporate employee volunteering programmes and related projects.
- Amplify your team – they’re young energetic and kicking ass. They want a leader they can learn from.
- Mentor and develop talent. Find new talent as we grow.
- Maintain the highest level of quality, strategy and delivery across all client-facing functions.
- Create innovative ways to drive employee volunteering engagement through our product
- Create and execute client’s employee volunteering events and campaigns
- Execute and own strategic projects to find new revenue streams for the business
- Oversee costing, quotes, cashflow and budgets for clients
- Identify, contact and woo new clients
Qualifications and experience required
- A tertiary qualification. If you don’t have a degree, tell to us why you don’t need it
- 5 – 10 years’ experience including management experience (important).
- Direct client/account management experience. Don’t cheat on this one – the ability to schmooze and deliver excellent client-facing work takes practice.
- Comfortable in a tech environment. We’re serious about this. You need to love the Internet, be fluent in online platforms and understand your URL from your Excel (actually, you need to understand more than that – but you get the point!)
- Strong writing, editing, creative and communications skills
- Marketing and “selling” skills. You’re selling us by supporting our clients.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW.
There is a plague in South Africa of people just clicking apply on every job that’s out there. You spam us. We get sad. It doesn’t work with us because it doesn’t show that you CARE. It doesn’t tell us that you REALLY WANT THIS ROLE. And we only want to hear from people who REALLY WANT THIS ROLE. Did we use enough caps for that?
- Go find out who we are. Google stalk us. Go deep. Think about whether you really want to work here. Then answer this: why do you want to work here?
- What do you think about the NGO space in South Africa?
- Tell us about a client management experience that you’ve had, one that will give us some insight into who you really are?
- What’s your management style and what’s the size of the team you currently manage?
- Give us a life example of when you stuck something out and should have left earlier OR when you didn’t stick something out and wish you’d stayed?
When you send this info – send it with the same level of quality you’d use when engaging with our clients and their employees. If you can’t spell when applying to us, you can’t spell when looking after our clients.
We’ll ONLY ask for CV’s from the best submissions. Email these to careers [at] forgood.co.za.
Salary: Market related and negotiable on experience. You deliver, you contribute to revenue, you keep growing, you take some risk with us – you can earn whatever you want.
Please send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org